Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Highlight of My Year

Last Thursday I was eating with a friend in Dallas....
We sat down at our table and began to look at our menu. To my left, a man was taking a picture and smiling. I noticed the flash and glanced up. Right at that moment, his little boy got up and the lady who he'd had a picture with turned around. When I saw her face my heart started beating, I was in shock, and I wasn't sure what to do! It was Laura Bush!!

Now at this part in the story a lot of my friends start laughing. I'm not sure if there's another person out there as much a Laura Bush fan as myself. In 7th grade I did a biography on her, then in 9th grade I did a huge project on her: complete with her recipe of Laura Bush's Country Cookies and I dressed in a navy trenchcoat and heels. She remained such a lady of dignity and grace throughout her entire stay in the White House, and I just admire her so very much.

Mrs. Bush's shoulder was probably about 15 inches from my friend's shoulder who was sitting right in front of me. Because of that, I could hardly say her name to tell my friend. My eyes got really big and I told my friend to slowly look behind her. At this point we are just bursting our buttons, sitting by the First Lady in real life!

Throughout the meal we had the same waiter; he would collect their chip bowl for refills, then he would collect our chip bowl for refills. Needless to say, with such an important person taking his time, we didn't really see our waiter very much that night.

Unfortunately, we couldn't talk to her, or leave a little note that I wrote on a little business card I had in my wallet....so we left the restaurant having sat beside her for an hour and a half...but her never knowing who we were.

I only wish she could know how much I admire her!
What an exciting night it was to run into her in real life- just eating with her friends at a restaurant!

No comments:

Post a Comment